Saturday, September 7, 2013

Surprising a Teenager

One of my favorite things about being a mom of teenagers (albeit for only two months) is surprising them. I don't think I say "No" too much, but from their perspective I must. For two years, Jacob has begged to go to a BYU game. We try to go to the games, but it really becomes a whole days event and it hasn't happened in a while. Finally, he decided to take matters into his own hands and came up with a plan.

Would we let him go to a game on his own if he bought his own ticket and found himself a ride?

We said yes. It was easy. We didn't even discuss it. He had the afternoon and evening free, it wouldn't put us out any, and he would spend his own hard earned money.

He was surprised by our answer. He lit up and began (or continued) looking up tickets. After making a few phone calls to make it happen, we bought the ticket on my credit card, and he paid me in cash.

He's at the game right now. It's been delayed for lightening. I hope his night isn't ruined and that he'll enjoy every minute, even the rain that will surely drench him to the bone.

No comments:

Post a Comment