Thursday, January 9, 2014

Family Traditions

 Four years ago, we were going to be with just our kids for Christmas Eve, without all the extended family. We wanted the night to be simple but memorable, so we went downtown to the outdoor skating rink, then out to dinner. We aren't too fancy, so we chose an easy restaurant: Sizzler. It worked out so well, that we tried it again the next year. Christmas morning that year, I woke up with a stomach bug and missed out on the day. The third year, we skipped the ice skating and postponed it a few days, but we still went to Sizzler. Matt and the kids were looking forward to it so much, that I couldn't deny them the chance.

Unfortunately, the next morning (Christmas) I woke up sick with a stomach bug. I began to see a trend. So, this year I vetoed Sizzler. I was not going to miss another Christmas morning, so no more Sizzler! (I work too hard to make the day a success, I don't enjoy missing the fun).  

Christmas Eve, about 4:00 p.m., we bundled up and headed to the outdoor skating rink again. Aunt Kristina joined us and we enjoyed the beautiful, frigid night out on the rink. Even Xander tried to skate. We had a lot of fun and all agreed to keep it as a family tradition. (Although, the rink was packed, so we're looking for a new venue).

Xander was the highlight of our night when he was learning how to walk with ice skates on. When he first stood up, he immediately fell over, but got back up and tried again until he could walk all around with out falling--he's very coordinated and has great balance. 


No comments:

Post a Comment